Dear readers,

You all probably already realized that this travel blog hasn't been updated for a really long time now. Nothing serious, just being busy and lazy actually. However, expect a reborn sometime in the future. Meanwhile, I just started a new personal blog and promised to update it frequently here.

See ya all!
-- Fakhrur

23 September 2008

Applying Schengen Visa

It's time to finally begin my long-abandoned project: this blog! :) I will start with one common question a lot people have been asking me: to apply Schengen short-stay tourist visa.

And the first question is probably "What The? Where is Schengen?".

Schengen Countries is actually a term used for European states that participate in Schengen Agreement. By signing it, they lift the border controls between themselves. This means that people like us (tourists they'd say) can travel between these countries without having a different visa. Yes, one visa for all! It's like having a combo pass that you can use up to your visa validity. Wiki about this.

Anyway I have drawn a map of the countries below.

some 24 countries you can travel with a single valid visa
(click to enlarge)

Please do remember that countries like UK, Ireland, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein are not (yet) included in the agreement. So, if you'd like to travel to these countries, then you need to get another visa. Despite this, Schengen visa idea is still sounds great isn't it? Then the next question is how to apply a Schengen visa.

UPDATE 2009: Switzerland implemented Schengen treaty though they're not in EU. And I also forgot to mentioned about San Marino, Vatican City and Monaco. They have open border with surrounding countries, so you won't need another visa to enter these tiny countries.

updated Schengen Area of 25 countries, including Switzerland
(click to enlarge)

However, if you are a citizen from the 'unfortunate' countries that require you a visa to enter --even for a short stay (up to 90 days)-- like Indonesia, the process can be tedious. Altough the requirements are straightforward, it's not so simple to comply. I'll try my best to explain...

First, about the good news; you can apply in any embassy of those listed countries. However, it is recommended to apply in the embassy of the main destination country. For example, if you're entering through Germany but you wanted to stay the longest in Poland, then it's probably better to apply to the Polish Embassy.

But what if there's no Polish Embassy in your country? Then google it, they usually have an agreement with other countries' embassies, in where you can apply. For example, you can apply Slovenian and Malta Schengen visa through Austrian Embassy in Jakarta.

Second, here's a long complete list of documents you need to prepare:
  • 60 euro administration fee (this can/must be paid on the equivalent value with the currency of the country where the embassy is; e.g. Indonesian Rupiah equivalent to 60 euro to pay the embassy in Jakarta);
  • Filled visa application form, can be downloaded from here or here, or wherever;
  • Your valid passport, minimum 3 months validity on the time you (intended) to get out from the Schengen countries;
  • Copy of your passport;
  • 2 recent photo (35 mm x 45 mm) with light background;
  • Private invitation letter OR hotel reservation (will be explained below...);
  • Scan of the inviter's passport (will be explained below...);
  • Travel Insurance that covering the country your visiting (must worth minimum 30,000 euro). There are many insurance package that specified for Schengen out there, google for one and then your insurance is only some clicks --and credit card input-- away;
  • Booking of a return flight, can be itinerary or paid ticket. Your travel agent can arrange this booking so that you don't need to pay for your ticket before your visa application is approved;
  • Proof of financial means (bank statement from your bank etc.);
  • Letter of employment from your employer in English, stating the applicant’s name, position, guarantee for leave for the duration of the trip as well as salary. The certificate has to include address, telephone and fax numbers and seal of the company or the school with the name, signature and position of the signer;
  • Pay slips of the last 3 months;
  • Copy of residence permit, if you're living outside your country. This must be also valid for at least 3 months (in some cases, 6 months) after leaving the Schengen countries;
  • Last but not least: Your luck! Don't take it hard if in the end, you didn't get the visa. People do got rejected, eventough they seem to complete all requirements.
Third, there are basically two way of showing "the means of support". The first one is by simply book all (yes, every single day) the hotels where you want to stay. The booking slips should be included to the documents above. That means all your hotels in Paris to Amsterdam to Krakow and to every single places you're going! This can be VERY expensive isn't it? What if you have your pals, whom couch or spare bed are available for you to stay? Here's the trick, you can still book the (really) cheap hostel or backpackers dorm on internet. It's still cost money, but hey guess what, some provide places to stay for only 10 euro a night! Some even only require you to pay 10-20% advance deposit. And after your visa approval, you can still cancel your booking, hope you got some of your money back.

The other option is by invitation. Of course, this can work only if you have someone who reside (or better, a citizen) in a Schengen country that you can mess with. The poor guy/girl must go to his/her town hall where he/she lives, submit the filled guarantee letter, pay and get the letter legalized. Sometime he/she also needs to show that he/she afford your stay but showing his/her bank statement. And it doesn't end there, he/she then needs to send the invitation letter to you, along with his/her passport scan. All this work however, would save you a lot from doing stupid booking for your hotel.

UPDATE 2009: Good news! Please update and check the visa consular website or call the officers-- some of them began to implement Electronic Invitation Letter. For example, Austria (June 2009). So the inviter can do the declaration at the competent aliens police office in Austria. It is quicker because the data are electronically transmitted to the Embassy and cheaper because no legalization is anymore necessary.

Fourth, the visa application process takes forever! It can be only 10 days, but can also be almost a month, so please plan ahead! Also remember that eventhough you must submit your passport when you apply, you still can ask them to give your passport back if you need it for traveling or whatever. Once your visa got approved, you return it to have them stamp the visa on your passport.

Fifth, please be aware that this page is written on September 2008. Changes in requirements and procedures are highly possible in the future. Do check on the embassies' websites for more accurate and up-to-date information.

voila! this is your lucky stamp!

So, good luck and happy traveling!


Niah said...

congrats on ur new blog!!

Fakhrur said...

thanks! :) btw i can't find new updates on your blogs or website.. where do you write stuffs now?

Anonymous said...

Hi great blog! quick question. can the itinerary be a print out of a online airline reservation or does it have to be certified by a travel agency?


Fakhrur said...

i think as long as you booked the ticket, the itinerary can be printed from online reservation.. but i'm not sure if any airline can give a booked itinerary without paying the ticket first

Anonymous said...

I applied for the Schengen Visa at the French Embassy today in Washington D.C. Is it normal that they gave my passport back and said they will just send a letter that will say come back to the embassy and get my passport stamped? The reason I asked is since I have my passport, can I apply for a UK visa while waiting for a response from the French embassy which they said could take 15-20 day? please advise

Fakhrur said...

one of my friend did this.. it was on French embassy in Singapore, same time applying UK visa.. I think the same thing applied for the embassy on DC

Good luck! and please feedback if otherwise it's not that way

Anonymous said...

Hi Fakhrur,
What if the person who will invite us is not have alot of money and income ? That the invitation letter still worth to sponsor the visa ?
please advise

Fakhrur said...

hi anonymous,

i think what's more important for them is that the traveler has enough financial support for the course of his/her travel.. thus showing that you have it covered by your own bank saving.. if not, then your 'host' would have need to have it covered

from my experience, the person is initially asked only to make a legalized invitation letter along with his/her passport copy, but maybe if he/she isn't choosing to support the traveler financially too, then she/he don't need to show his/her saving or other financial mean.. that's what i think, i never try this, only had it heard from other people

in other word, this invitation letter is the guarantee for that particular country that if the traveler messed up or illegally stayed longer than the visa, they can ask the host responsibility

Anonymous said...

Here is a professional Schengen Visa service, not cheap but true. From A->Z around 5-6 weeks and you can travel to the Schengen countries.

Silvio said...

Great thoughts you got there, believe I may possibly try just some of it throughout my daily life.

Australia Visa